01. January 2020
About Clifton Christian Centre
Who we are
The Clifton Christian Centre is an Elim Pentecostal church located on Langdale Road in Blackpool.
Part of the Elim Pentecostal Movement
The Elim Pentecostal Church is a growing Movement of more than 550 Christian congregations in the UK and Ireland. Elim was founded in 1915 by George Jeffreys, a young Christian from Maesteg in South Wales. Jeffreys and a group of friends, known as the Elim Evangelistic Band, preached, started churches and witnessed a move of God that was characterised by miraculous healings and an explosion in the number of people becoming Christians.
The founders wanted the name of their new Movement to express their vision and values, and so chose Elim, the name of an oasis in the Bible that the people of Israel discovered as they wandered through the desert. It provided shade and refreshment to all who encountered it. As part of the Elim Pentecostal Movement we hold to their foundational truths
History in Blackpool
The origins of the Clifton Christian Centre are a small green wooden building on Fredora Avenue in Marton, Blackpool, with a mission that started in the 1930’s. As the church became established the green hut was replaced in the mid-1970s with the two pre-fabricated Marley buildings that occupy the site today.
Towards the end of the nineties, the fellowship had grown and parking on the narrow residential street was becoming more of an issue, so the church leadership felt that God was leading them to move to new premises. After an extensive search, the former Clifton Labour Club on Langdale Road was found and purchased in 1998 and renovation of the building commenced soon after. Much of the work was done by members of the church. The church was opened on 15 September 2001 by the General Superintendent of the Elim Movement, the Reverend John Glass.
Since then the Church has become established on the Mereside estate and has been proud to receive several Community Awards."